Tuesday, September 14, 2010

one more year, a lot less hair

a week before my birthday i was at Tom's house, after not drinking for nearly 2 months i finally decided to have a glass of wine or two with Tom & his wife Jogi.  that day had been rough on Jogi and a week later she had another hard day scheduled dealing with some drama... so i asked her if i should be ready for a few more glasses of wine to let her know i'd be there for her.  as the night progressed, the subject changed and Tom invited me to join them the following weekend for Labor Day at their place at the lake.  we'd had a few glasses of wine, so i didnt think the invitation was completely serious... more impulsive, so i let it go.

the week progressed, and as carolyn and i talked all day via email and texts, i mentioned to her that she should keep next tuesday free for her mom Jogi.  she was of course there for her, though we were unsure what we'd do with the night if Jogi decided she didn't want the company... the week moved on.

cards on the dock
friday arrived and carolyn was on the road to the lake, i was at home.  we talked about the upcoming week a bit... still focused on her mom, and me not going to the lake - but the next day as we were texting back & forth and she said something suspicious: "we have Tuesday night planned".  Tom must have noticed that i hadn't come down and called me to ask where i was.  so i stuffed some things in a bag and headed to the lake.

i arrived late saturday night, to a card game which left me confused... Tom and his family are card sharks.  after we headed to the deck for a couple bottles of wine which left me a bit of a mess the next morning.  we spent sunday on the water enjoying the sun (Carolyn and I may have gotten too much), then more cards, and sunday night Jogi made an awesome dinner.  i'd learned my lesson the night before, and spent the night winding down on the couch with Carolyn where she introduced me to a show called 'Snapped'... which was nothing short of twisted.

on Labor Day we went back out on the water again, then we all helped Tom put some of the summer things away before we headed back... this weekend sounds so simple, but it was undoubtedly the best Labor Day i have had in my 30's.

the next day was Tuesday, my birthday, and a day when Jogi had a lot of stress to deal with.  Carolyn told me to be at her place at 6:30, and i arrived to confirm what i suspected, she had turned the night into a birthday celebration for me.  there was a spread of mexican food all made by her.  i can't lie, i was impressed.  i generally don't like people doing things for me... i appreciate a kind thought and words of recognition, but all the effort she had gone through really meant a lot to me.  on some level i figured i would spend my birthday night having a quick bite with mom & dad, then run over to Tom & Jogi's to help her blow off some steam, but instead we were celebrating my birthday.  Carolyn's sister arrived a few hours later, and then i was presented with two bags of gag gifts and a card from them all.  in the end, it was simple, and simply amazing.  while playing cards that previous Sunday, Tom had announced, "welcome to the family!"  and while i'm not family, i felt very much like i was.

around 10pm, all the ladies realized it was late for them, and while Tom and I continued to ramble on the balcony, they packed up all kinds of leftovers and we were sent home.  however, as i got near my house, i got a call from friends downtown wanting to keep things alive.  Subash was with Oliver down at a bar where Slaps works.  from there we progressed to Shiver, where we met up with a guy named Cody who had with him a group of friends which helped the great night move on.  we all enjoyed one of their choice vodkas and swung around in their globe chairs before heading across the street to Flamingo Bowl which made for great people watching.  it was a nice way to meet out some buddies and wind down my birthday night.

wednesday was fairly relaxed, as was thursday... since I spent the night of the 7th out, I went over and had dinner with my parent's on wednesday night.  my mother is on a never ending battle for me to scower my house, and since i don't like gifts, she bought me a ton of cleaning supplies.

then friday i got email from my agent explaining that yet another of my rare auditions had been a fail.  i'd had enough of my look and not working... i hated my hair.  it was shaggy and had been for nearly 3 years... ugh.  i wanted a drastic change.

a lifelong friend of mine had been wanting to shave away my shag for weeks, i had jokingly suggested a mohawk.  and friday was the day.  i got to meredith's house around 9pm, she and her husband KC had just gotten home from taking the kids out for greek food... and they'd gotten their hands on a professional razor.  Shnidy and his wife were witnesses as meredith's middle child sat in front of me in the garage giggling... before i knew it, the whole neighborhood of children sat next to me in amazement.  meredith worked slowly and nervously... taking a break in the middle when KC issued quick judgement on the remaining hairs on the sides of my scalp.  before you knew, i was done - mohawk style!

i woke up the next morning with a pink mohawk faltering after hours of being mashed into a pillow.  i took the day slowly... saturday night, a week from my drive to the lake, would be the annual "September Birthdays Party".

for over a decade, a group of us who were all hatched in the first week of september have had a party together... and it was time for that event.  i adorned myself in the usual offensive tshirt, a sexy blazer, cargo shorts, and flip flops.  i headed back to meredith's, where she gave the 'hawk some volume and we first headed to Araka for a few drinks.  after Araka we made out way to Schneithorst's for the event.

this year's turnout was awesome, i couldn't believe how many people showed up... faces i hadn't seen in years, people who had to fly in from across the country, people who you would think would make up excuses about kids or other obligations, those from both coasts and those who had so much else going on made it.  it was awesome.

easily half that upstairs deck was our group of people, i was impressed with those who showed up even though they didn't know many, and was impressed with everyone's happy demeanor.

really, the week was perfect.  from Tom's hospitality at the lake, to Carolyn's birthday dinner for me which was full of thoughtful detail, being surrounded by Meredith's family and neighbors and my friends, and the 50+ people at the September Birthdays party... it was an awesome year.


or

No comments:

Post a Comment