Wednesday, January 16, 2013

do i want the house?

i went to my parent's house today, mom likes to not be able to do things unless i'm there.  today she was unable to change the toner cartridge in her printer... and my dad wasn't sure how to make the VCR work... and any chance to feed me can't be missed.

while i was there, she gave me an antique lamp, something she had actually been trying to give me for some time.  while i was loading it into my car, she brought up their house, then asked me if i wanted the house.

WTF??

she danced a little, but she eventually came out and said, "you know, when we die".

WTF, MOM??

in the end, i had been asked years ago to be executor of their estates.  my father had been the executor of his parent's estates and received some kinda fee for it (which is apparently customary).  i however, have only one sibling, and no desire to debate with her over the value of things or any issues having to do with fees or why i was chosen to get the job.

i quickly loaded the lamp in my car, and quashed the discussion by reminding her that i wanted her to live in the home until she and dad were both gone, and then i felt liquidating everything to cash and splitting things as defined in their wills would be best.

but really mom - WTF??

i know we're supposed to have these talks, and make sure everything is worked out.  but for some reason, this threw me.

No comments:

Post a Comment